I read obituaries and blogs about personal tragedies. I check the news almost daily. My favorite books are historical novels or obituaries, most likely including stories of loss or survival. Often, I share the stories I read with Bryce. Tonight I shared with him a blog post by a woman on the other side of the world detailing her last day with and the sudden death of her husband. Afterward our converstation went something like this:
Half joking he asked, "Where do you find this stuff? Is there some website that links you to the saddest stories on earth!?!"
A little weepy I responded, "No! A website could exist with links titled 'Read this to be grateful for your life.'"
Which is truly, in part, why I read just such stories. They do make me feel grateful. However, as I followed another link from the same woman's blog I gained a little understanding about myself. Yes, most of the stories I read include engulfing heartache, helpless tragedy, and inhumanity. However, woven in each story is evidence of strength, growth, humility, overcoming, and triumph. I realized this as I read this quote:
"Don't stand in your own way."
Wow. I don't have significant heartache, hopeless tragedy, or inhumanity in my life.
I have me.
Sometimes, I stand in my own way.
I realized I admire the individuals I read about and to be truly inspired by them requires me to act.
Tomorrow and everyday after that I am going to remember this everytime I try to stop myself from being strong enough to become who I want to be and do the things I want to do.
And, sometimes, overcoming is going to hurt.
And, that's okay too.
Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Love this post! I think we all need to be reminded that we are the ones stopping ourselves from becoming who we want to be. Now I'm off to move myself out of my way! :)
Post a Comment