Sunday, February 26, 2012

{Goodbye Old Friend}


When Bryce and I were dating we always discussed what kind of dog we would get someday. After we were married, we realized that was a big dream for small apartments.


In 2004 we moved across the country to Mississippi anxiously awaiting his first year of veterinary school, our fifth anniversary, and the arrival of our second daughter all supposedly happening on the same day. We settled into a new small home of our very own and tried to enjoy a hot, muggy Mississippi summer while we waited.


School started and our anniversary was celebrated long before Paisley made her debut on the Friday before labor day. The very next weekend Bryce loaded us all in the car and drove us 30 miles south to a small Mississippi town. He had decided we needed a boxer and I couldn't deny him the dream of finally having a dog in the family.


I have often described my relationship with Tessa as "Love-Hate" because she loved me and I despised all the mess and smells and work she represented when I was already so overwhelmed. I inherited the responsibilty for caring for our new puppy and training her, somewhere along the way I grew to love her; although, I couldn't pretend to love her as much as Bryce and the kids do.


In Starkville we had some interesting neighbors, I actually witnessed them high and snorting drugs in their backyard. The middle school boys would walk home in front of our house and change into their white t-shirts on our street. They couldn't wear them to school because they represented a gang.


Our neighbors and all who walked down our street knew they were in Tessa's domain. She was not afraid to chase someone down and we were inclined to let her. If we went for a drive and the girls fell asleep in the car, we would open the doors and let them finish their nap. Tessa would lay between the car and the street. For all the complaining I've done about her, she truly took care of us.


Oh she had her moments! Like when she ate pecans that had fallen off the trees in our backyard {shells and all} and then had the poops all over the carpet. Bless Bryce! I couldn't even go in the house it smelled so bad. Or when she chewed up my scriptures because we didn't take her trick or treating. Or when she peed in the girls room because I made her move while I vacuumed. Or how she barked. And she barked. And she b.a.r.k.e.d. every single morning.


Originally we wanted to breed her but for that she was a lemon. She always had troubles gaining weight, rarely came into heat, had a twisted utereus, had severe allergies, and eventually had a tumor start growing on her leg. When we x-rayed her lungs 18 months ago they were already full of tumors or we would have just removed her leg. Her real strength was being a pet. Although many were intimidated by her protective nature she loved our family, especially the kids. She would even growl at us if we raised our voice at them. 


When we first found out Tessa was sick I bawled. We told the kids and thought it would be much sooner we'd have to let her go. Ultimately, we waited too long. She still had so much energy but her bones became more visible everyday even though she ate the best puppy food and a lot of it. Her own body was starving her. We had planned to let her go yesterday, but it was so cold. Today was sunny and beautiful, just the way she liked it!
No snow for this prissy girl dog!


Rest in peace "The Dutchess Tessa"! You were the best dog and we will miss you!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a beautiful tribute. She was lucky to have come to such a great family and your family was lucky to have her love. (())

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such great stories! In a couple paragraphs I managed to fall in love with your dog. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Bryce, and the kids.

<3 Ashley

bhblood said...

Sad day at your house. My kids will be sad when I tell them. :( we are thinking about you guys! Love you!