Monday, October 27, 2008

Sucker Memories

For FHE tonight we had a little lesson and then I dug out the sucker molds. When I was in grade school my sister was earning money to attend close up, a program where she was able to tour Washington D.C. with hich school students from around the country. We spent many nights making suckers for her to sell at school and for my brother and I to sell at the elementary. The girls were able to put the molds together and add the sticks while we waited for the syrup to cook. I was quite excited to share this little tradition with Bryce and the girls but unprepared for the flood of memories the sweet scent of homemade suckers would bring as it filled our home! At the Mindy Gledhill concert Bryce and I attended the other night she performed a song she had written about the concept of being far away from the wonderment of being a little girl. How nice it is to have simple traditions that take us back to the simplicity of childhood! Sorry no pictures! The recipe is usually included with the sucker molds but here it is anyway: 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup water 1/3 cup light karo syrup 1/2 tsp flavoring food coloring Combine sugar, water, and karo in saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to hard crack stage, 300, without stirring. Quickly add flavor and color then pour into molds. Let cool and remove molds. Enjoy! If you spray the molds with cooking spray they remove easily without cracking the suckers. You can also fill the molds half full with one flavor and make another flavor to go on top. We use to make chocolate vanilla and strawberry banana. I want to try orange chocolate or mint chocolate someday. Num Yummy! :)

4 comments:

The Morrills said...

OH MY GOSH!! I can totally remember the suckers!! They were the best!! You would bring them and sell them in elementary school.. Holy cow that totally brings back so many memories!! I will write down the recipe and attempt to make them. I know they won't be as good as yours!! Thanks for the CES memories!!!

Doty Family said...

I love sharing traditions with my kiddo's! I also love making new ones. Thanks for the recipe. How soon until you guys move?? And are you moving the fabric with you?

Lynn and Priscilla's family said...

That is so crazy...Just yesterday I told Lynn that I want to make homemade suckers! Thanks for the post and the recipe!!!

Jennifer Pfaff said...

You are so awesome!!! We should get together and make suckers before you leave! I have never been a candy maker, I may need help the first time! :)