Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Obedience

This fall when we had Stake Conference someone wasn't feeling well, I can't even remember who! But, I did not attend either the adult or the regular session. I remember Bryce attending with the girls but he wasn't able to attend the Saturday session either. On Sunday our Sunday school lesson focused on the goals our Stake President asked us to set. I knew the first one from years past but the other three were "new" to me! 

1. Read the scriptures, ponder, and pray 24/7 (24 minutes 7 days a week)
2. Do missionary work
3. Pray to know who you can serve everyday
4. Write in you journal

I have really struggled with setting time aside for personal growth. I think it is so difficult to read or write anything with little people always on your coat tails! Working from home often leaves me distracted when I try to focus because between home and work there is always something to do! I have found if I set a timer when I read my scriptures, not so I know when I can be done, but so I know I don't need to worry about other things for that amount of time helps. For some reason it gives me license to not focus on my to do list while I read. However, the thing that really struck me was journal writing. I often think I will remember the cute things the kids do each day but I know from past experience I won't. The journal writing hit home to me. I love to go back and read about our past experiences. I really want to do a better job recording memories and am hoping to use our blog to do so. Who cares if it is not what people do anymore! I really don't care if anyone reads it today. Our kids and I will likely read it later, and that is what really matters! Yes, it is a new year and this sounds so much like a resolution but it's not. I believe one way I know I feel the Spirit is when it makes you want to be better, to be more obedient. And, obedience, brings forth blessings. We are already abundantly blessed but I look forward to actually being able to remember those blessings because I took the time to record them! 

1 comment:

Doty Family said...

Yay! I am still blogging! I will come and read all about your family antics! Welcome back!