Thursday, May 15, 2014

Sickies

I hate going to the doctor. Even more specifically, I hate taking our kids to the doctor. It seems you can never out guess what it is that they expect of you as a parent and I hate leaving feeling like they think I am an idiot. Of course, some doctors are worse than others, and a few don't leave me feeling insecure, but for the most part, I hate it. I can't count the number of times I have taken our kids in sick to have their ears checked and the doctor acts like I am being overly paranoid. I leave with nothing. I had the senior pediatrician at our clinic once tell me he thought Brant had a virus and he would see me in 10 days if he wasn't better by then. He returned after the nurse finished the strep test I requested to apologize, the test was positive. How am I suppose to guess what is wrong with our kids if they can't? Sometimes as parents we just need to have them checked to see if we are missing something. Today I took Tycee and Channa in because they have had a lingering cough, sneezing, and congestion. Tycee especially has had a fever. I have not noticed Channa having a fever for days, may be once. They both had a double ear infection. I even asked Channa in the waiting room if her ear has hurt and she said no. She hasn't complained of her ears hurting even once, last time they were infected she sobbed. How was I to know? I got a kind lecture about when I should bring them in, basically saying we waited too long. So do I bring them in for coughing and clear congestion and be treated like, why are you here? Or do I wait until I see obvious signs, like today, when they started sneezing yellow snot? The sickness started with a couple days of fever and moved into a clear congestion and coughing. They were almost better when at day 10 or so they started to go down hill again. Why would I bring them in at day 7 or 8 if their symptoms were almost better? And it is Tuesday, which means you were closed a day and a half just a day ago. I was annoyed not really by the doctor specifically but by the insinuation that as parents we are ignorant to our child's circumstance. Last night I slept with a baby bear hugging my head and I wiped a gallon of snot off her face today. Channa really hasn't had as much congestion or coughing but I had a hunch she wasn't better. I wanted them to see the doctor but I also had to have a child to school at 12:30, pick one up at 3, and attend a band concert at 5:45, all on no rest while my husband had to be in another state. I have gotten the lecture before about calling during the day and scheduling an evening appointment from the receptionist. Yes, I purposefully waited until the end of the day when I could bring them to the doctor without messing up the other kids' schedules and when I have help. They've been sick for days now, half a day wasn't much longer. Heaven help parents of sick kids everywhere.

No comments: