As the daughter of a farmer who chose to marry a dairy farmer, I can't be too upset when my vet husband calls from the driveway to inform Brant to come outside and see the surprise he brought home - a calf. Brant had to be convinced the surprise was for everyone, not just him, but he did get the honor of naming her Rose.
A client of Bryce's raises replacement dairy heifers and sometimes they calve before they ship. Often the calves don't make it, so when Bryce saw this one he offered to take her. We will sell her back at the end of the summer. He had to teach the kids how to bottle feed, Paisley still says she wants to be a vet and has a lot less reservation than the other kids when it comes to the hands on part of caring for animals.
Brylin still gets grossed out pretty easy but she has been great with Rose. When Bryce hurt his arm she took over feeding her and was so cute about making sure Rose was fed three times a day. We were really proud of her for being so responsible, especially when it was so cold outside.
Brant and Channa take their turns but I am not sure if either of them have the attention span to hold the bottle through an entire feeding.
They were so excited despite the cold! Since we acquired Rose we have also partnered in two sows (pigs) and Brylin has two lambs she is planning to show in the stock show. Bryce is also planning to build a chicken coop. I just shake my head and go with it! What else can I do!?
{For a few weeks we had two calves but the second one came sick. Bryce had to tube feed her a majority of the time and at one point even gave her IV fluids to try to save her. One night Brant climbed on my lap and said I don't like the name for the baby. I asked him what he thought the baby's name should be. He said Daffodil and we should call her Daffy. Not a chance buddy! We did name the new calf Daffodil; however, Channa always called her Jellybean. Bryce called to talk to me about disposing of her body after she passed away and called her Lollipop. Channa asked me where she went and I told her to Heaven to eat hay in the big pasture in the sky. And she asked me, "Did the clowns take her?" What a crazy bunch!}

No comments:
Post a Comment