Friday, April 12, 2013

Love Day


 Since half our Valentines Day was spent with Bryce at the doctor with his cut tendon, I am glad we did a lot of preparing. It amazes me how many things we did as a kid that involved parents in public schooling that doesn't happen today. Years ago one of Brylin's teachers sent a note home informing the parents that they would make Valentines Day bags to collect Valentines and they shouldn't make boxes. I was the irritated parent who helped her make one anyway for her to take her Valentines to school in and hand them out. The bags were lame anyway, better than the nothing that some students get but I don't see why we can't do something as parents just because other parents won't. Anyway, this year the teachers actually requested that the kids prepare a box to collect their Valentines.


As much as I love these traditions they always happen late on a school night and I am always grouchy. My poor kids will certainly remember that, so wish I had better moods under stress! I am hoping they forget that I swear when I burn myself with a glue gun. At least I think they are happy with the finished product. I am sad that this is Brylin's last year of elementary school, we have lots of fun memories but I don't want this time with her to be over yet. Sniff.


I am always amazed by how much their personalities show when they create things. Paisley is a fashion girl and always concerned that her appearance be very specifically coordinated (We still tease her about scotch taping a sweater for church to make it fit the way she wanted to.) Brylin is much more eclectic and less concerned with doing what everyone else seems to like. Both are good traits but definitely different results.
 

Brant and I were able to make his box the next day. He is a funny kid to hang out with and so much fun one on one. He love the zebra stripes. 
 

Channa was a little irritated that she wasn't making a box but entertained us with her dance attire. The gloves on her feet looked so funny, I couldn't stop laughing and she was slipping all over the place. 
 

Channa loved making valentines for her friends!


I though it was brilliant that Brant's preschool didn't have the students write "TO" just who they were from. Brant was able to write his name on all his own Valentines. Not sure why this one says Brant Brant instead of Brant Blood but still so cute! He gave out microwave popcorn. 


A few years back we were struggling financially (hmmm....I am pretty sure we still fit this category) so I had Brylin make her Valentines with supplies we already had instead of having to buy them. What I though was saving a little money turned into an expected tradition. Initially I was hoping we could just buy them this year but couldn't say no when they were so excited about making them again. They did a great job and pretty much did them all by themselves. Paisley gave out microwave popcorn too but Brylin wanted to give Butterfingers. They all gave their teacher chocolates. 

I was planning to go to the school to Valentine's day parties but Bryce called me right as I got off work about his arm. The kids were a little disappointed but were so good about me not coming. You could tell they understood, especially when Bryce had surgery the next day and was so sick all weekend afterward. We are so blessed with kids that are so much fun and so good too. Love, love, love them!

No comments: