Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Sharing the Smarts

Wisdom from Paisley She hands me a blanket, "Mom will you fold this into an oval for me?" "I'm not sure I know how," I reply as I begin to fold. "You just do it like this to make an oval and like this to make a triangle," she animatedly shows me the actions to her instructions. "Here you go!" I hand her the folded blanket. She hugs it smiling with a contented reply, "Just how I wanted it, a square!" ________________________________________ She tells her dad as he gives her a big squeeze, "Ouch, you are hurting my ankle!" "What ankle?" She points to her elbow. ________________________________________ At dinner tonight she inquires, "Can we buy some more chocolate milk yesterday?" This is actually an improvement over "lasterday" which until recently she said for a couple of years. Wisdom from Brylin If you want to win your mom's heart, just draw her a beautiful picture of her favorite animals. ________________________________________ Brylin has never been a fan of being alone or being in the dark. I don't know where she gets either trait. Recently her fears were exacerbated by the tall tales of vampires, witches, ghosts and bloody Mary in the mirror speaking to other little girls in the bathroom at school (not very happy about that). She has had a few, okay several, freak out moments and we've been trying to teach her that those things aren't real, to just be brave, and she'll see that she is okay. She has even been praying to not feel scared. Tonight as I was giving them kisses goodnight we had an interesting conversation: Paisley: "We are snuggling" Brylin: "I am not snuggling, we are just laying here and sister is laying close to me." Paisley: "I have to snuggle her so she don't feel scared." Mom: "Guess what? Someday you'll grow up and marry a nice boy who can be the daddy at your house. You can snuggle him everynight and never feel scared." Paisley: "Yeah." Brylin: "And get a gun." Her dad was so proud. Wisdom from the Kitchen The last time we were at my in laws, Jackie kept telling me we needed to help them eat their fresh pears. I was too lazy to go get myself one, wash it, especially since I've rarely had a good, ripe pear. I have since regretted my laziness. I was walking through the produce section of Walmart the other day when the aroma of sweet, ripe pears surrounded me. We bought some and they were delectable. You should buy some too, num yummy! Here is a blurry phone picture of our homemade apple pie. If you don't make pie, you should try. If you can bake a cake, make cookies, or make bread, you can certainly bake a pie. Granny Smith tart apples make awesome pie filling. We tried this for dinner and this for desert yesterday, they were both delicious! The cobbler tasted like a cookie with peaches and the rue for the mac and cheese was the creamist, most delicious rue I've ever had.

4 comments:

Doty Family said...

This post was just what I needed today!! I almost fell off my chair I was laughing so hard. I love the comment about the gun! Stinkin' cute girl. I love it! Kid's say the funniest things!

McKelle said...

Your girls are so funny! I've never made a pie. Maybe I'll try. I'm a poet!

Jill said...

I love how Brylin doesn't want to be 'snuggling' because she is scared. Paisley is so sweet. :)

Sarah said...

For as often as I type 'lol' on the computer, I rarely really am 'laughing out loud'. Brylin's "And get a gun." comment made me laugh out loud. So funny.