Friday, January 10, 2014

Tycee Jane

Wow! I guess I am not really surprised it has taken me five months to write about our sweet baby girl's arrival to this world! Tycee Jane was born the morning of Sunday, August 11, 2013. We had been waiting...and waiting...and waiting for her to come, mostly because Channa had been early but we should have known better. Saturday evening Bryce and I had been up late watching TV. I was laying on the floor dozing when I had a decent contraction or two. I decided if I was possibly going to have a baby I really wanted a shower! I headed upstairs at 1:30 in the morning and instead of crawling into bed I took a nice warm, quiet, uninterrupted shower! After I finished my bedtime routine I sat in the rocking chair resting for a minute as my contractions continued to get stronger. I decided I probably really was in labor and realized if I didn't get my hair dried and straightened, it would drive me crazy! I finished up my hair and sat back in the chair and at about 3:30 Bryce came in the room. I told him what was happening and he said we better get some rest if we were going to have a baby. We climbed into bed and my contractions didn't take long to become much more intense but were still 10 minutes apart. Within a half hour they were 7 minutes apart but about a minute long and painful. Bryce decided he wanted a shower if we really were going to have a baby so I climbed back into the rocking chair and he climbed in the shower. By the time he got out the contractions were 3 minutes apart and definitely real labor! We finished throwing together the hospital bag and called Amanda to come sit with the kids. She hurried right over and we were out the door. I was so anxious to know our baby girl would arrive healthy and couldn't wait to see her! I think we all wondered whether she would have dark hair like Brylin or Brant or be blonde like Paisley and Channa!

When we arrived at the hospital at about 5:30 we discovered Dr. Griffith was out of town (he had been ill the morning of my last appointment so I hadn't seen him for 10 days and didn't know he was leaving). I was bummed to not have him there because we really have a lot of faith in him as a doctor and he has a great, calming demeanor. I had never met Dr. Lewis but Bryce had and we were comfortable with him. The best part of the delivery was that Sister Evelyn Johnson who I had been serving with in the primary was my nurse. She was wonderful! Once Evelyn and the other nurse got us settled in the delivery room, I was dilated to a 5 1/2 and having strong contractions. I made sure they knew I wanted an epidural and made sure they had the lab coming because I usually have quick labor. Bryce was so relaxed and supportive. I remember thinking he was much more calm with this delivery. Around 6:30 the anesthesiologist came in and had me sign the paperwork. They hadn't received the OK from the lab yet but I was anxious to the epidural. He went ahead and put it in. I felt relief almost instantly. I was dilated to an 8 1/2 and our sweet baby was well on her way.

I think my nerves got to me because everyone left the room but Bryce and the anesthesiologist. I could feel her progressing but not enough to know how close she was! Bryce had Evelyn come back in and I was dilated to a 10 and ready to push. Dr. Lewis kept harassing Evelyn about missing church that day. I teased him about getting sunburned (he is black) on his bald head. Everything was so relaxed, who would have thought having a baby could be so jovial! I ended up pushing for about 20 minutes because I was terrible at it! Really? On the fifth baby you would think you would know what you were doing. After they told me how to push right, she came right out! I was panicking because she didn't cry, not at all! I remember them all ooohing and ahhhing over how big she was. I kept looking at Bryce saying, "Is she OK? Is she OK? I can't hear her...I can't see her! Pretty soon they sat a beautiful bright eyed angel in my arms! She was perfect! And she had brought such a sweet, peaceful spirit with her! After the nurse took her to clean her up I realized we weren't taking pictures and put Bryce on camera duty! Everyone was anxious to see how much she weighed and thought she would be bigger than 8 lbs 4 oz. They kept saying she had quite a bit of hair but it was just a perfect mix of how the rest of our babies had been.

They were so efficient and had everything cleaned up quickly. My epidural was the best I had ever had, soon after delivery I was able to get up and use the restroom. Little Tycee was the best nurser I had ever had too. She was a natural and everything went so smooth. I felt really good and she was absolutely adorable.

What would our family do without our precious baby sister? Tycee Jane we love you so much and as Brant says, we could never trade you for anything.

***Funny things the kids have said lately...Brant says TWOshane for Duschesne and FOUR-TWOshane for Fort Duschesne....Brylin and Paisley have both said photography PHOTO-GRAPHY....it cracks me up everytime....Brylin said the phrase "competing between two" out of context instead of "debating between two" today, so smart but still a kid....Channa melted my heart one day as we went into the grocery story she whispered to me "Do you know how many I love you? A LOT.'' Soooo adorable. She has been such a worry wart lately, I joked about Bryce burning the house down while he was fixing the bathroom and it traumatized her! And I am having surgery Monday and she is scared to death I won't wake up. So am I honestly. I love our life and being a mother so much. I have been so blessed to have such a wonderful husband and the best kids. I believe everything will be fine but it is hard to not be scared when you have so many blessings you want to enjoy for many years. I love you my sweet family!

No comments: